Harassment or Discrimination Incidents
The UMD Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct website provides information and links for:
- Free, confidential on-campus help including CARE to Stop Violence, the student Counseling Center, the student Mental Health Service, and the Faculty Staff Assistance Program for non-student mental health and workplace concerns, as well as off-campus resources.
- UMD reporting options and obligations for sexual misconduct, discrimination, and hate/bias incidents.
- UMD policies and procedures regarding sexual misconduct, discrimination, and accessibility.
How to Help Students or Colleagues in Distress
Department members are strongly encouraged to pay attention to colleagues and students and help when someone is in distress. The Counseling Center maintains an excellent guide to helping students in distress; see "Helping Students in Distress", which describes what to do and not do for a range of scenarios. Most advice is also relevant for colleagues.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Resources
American Astronomical Society (AAS) Code of Ethics and Anti-Harassment Policy
- AAS Code of Ethics
- AAS Anti-Harassment Policy for AAS & Division Meetings & Activities
- AAS Ethics Complaint Form
Astronomy Department Committees, Organizations, and Activities
- Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (EDI) Committee
- Better Astronomy for a New Generation! (BANG!) Seminar
- Astronomy Gentleladies' Network (AGN)
- Graduate Resources for Advancing Diversity with Astronomy & Physics at Maryland (GRAD-MAP)
- Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy
- Accessibility and Disability Service (ADS)
- Black Student Groups
- Campus Chaplains
- Center for Minorities in Science and Engineering
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Equity Center
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
AAS Diversity Committees
- Committee on the Status of Minorities in Astronomy (CSMA)
- Committee on the Status of Women in Astronomy (CSWA)
- Committee for Sexual-Orientation and Gender Minorities in Astronomy (SGMA)
- Working Group on Accessibility and Disability (WGAD)