Welcome to the website for the Comet Wirtanen Campaign. Our intention is to provide a central clearinghouse for basic information regarding comet 46P/Wirtanen (WERE-tuh-nun) to encourage and facilitate the acquisition, analysis and interpretation of observations, and to promote collaborations between researchers.
Because Comet Wirtanen does not arrive until Dec. 12, 2018, we will be providing information about additional comets in the mean time, to facilitate observations of those comets, to determine what type of information our users are of interest and to iron out the details of how the campaign will be organized.
Comets included here:
- Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova (passed perihelion Dec. 31 2016)
- Comet 41P/Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak (perihelion Apr. 12, 2017)
- Comet 46P/Wirtanen (perihelion Dec. 12, 2018)
Types of information planned for inclusion here:
- History and highlights of each comet
- Current events of interest
- Observation plans (submitted by the observers)
- - Requested
- - Scheduled/Planned
- - Obtained
- Geometric observing conditions
Use the Navigation bar on the Left to get where you want to go. Additional menu items are available on the individual comet web pages.
We are maintaining an email list for broadcasting occasional updates regarding the comets' behavior, and for making announcements regarding short-term transient events that might prompt follow-up observations.
If you want to be added to (or removed from ) this list, then send your name, affiliation and email address to the Contact Web Form